Sunday, September 4, 2016

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said:





Calling upon the Prophet (Salla Allahu Alaihy wa sallam) or any lesser person is shirk and misguidance, because these people cannot respond. What one must do is repent to Allah from this shirk and not call upon anyone except Allah. We all know that the Messenger of Allah (Salla Allahu Alaihy wa sallam) himself did not possess any power to bring benefit or cause harm, except by the will of Allah. Allah, may He be exalted, instructed him to declare that to his ummah, as Allah said to him (interpretation of the meaning):
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I possess no power of benefit or hurt to myself except as Allah wills. If I had the knowledge of the Ghaib (unseen), I should have secured for myself an abundance of wealth, and no evil should have touched me. I am but a warner, and a bringer of glad tidings unto people who believe”
[al-A‘raaf 7:188]
“Say (O Muhammad): ‘I don’t tell you that with me are the treasures of Allah, nor (that) I know the unseen; nor I tell you that I am an angel. I but follow what is revealed to me by inspiration’”
[al-An‘aam 6:50].
The Messenger himself used to pray to Allah, may He be glorified, seeking forgiveness and mercy for himself, and for his companions. If he had been able to grant forgiveness to anyone or bestow mercy on him, he would not have needed to pray to Allah, may He be glorified, for that. But all of creation is in need of Allah, and it is Allah alone Who is Free of all wants and needs, Worthy of all praise, as He, may He be exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning): “O mankind! it is you who stand in need of Allah, but Allah is Rich (Free of all wants and needs), Worthy of all praise” [Faatir 35:15].
Were it not for the Shaytaan toying with the minds of these people they would realise that the Messenger (Salla Allahu Alaihy wa sallam) and others do not possess any power to benefit or harm anyone, and they would call upon Allah alone, with no partner or associate: “Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations. Is there any ilah (god) with Allah?” [an-Naml 27:62].
End quote from Majmoo‘ Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-‘Uthaymeen (21/218-219

No comments:

Post a Comment