Sunday, June 21, 2015

I started to wear the hijab the same day I made my shahadah



World Hijab Day's photo.

"I started to wear the hijab the same day I made my shahadah (testimony of Islamic faith). It is not easy here in Mexico because the Muslim community in my country it less than 5000 members out of 122 million people. The first year as a Muslim, I was living with my father and my little brother, and they didn't really care about what i was doing with my veil. Later that year, I had to move with my mom, and due to the fact that she's an Islam hater, I couldn't reveal my new religion until few months ago when she started to insult me everyday and bash my beliefs.
Recently, she has calmed down a little bit but she still mocks the way I dress, asking me ALWAYS why I don't wear skinny jeans, makeup,etc. Hijab has given me few problems. I wouldn't be able to admit to the university this year because I would not be able to wear hijab on the ID photo. Also, I would not be able to work because the majority of jobs don't allow hijab. I want to study fashion design but in public universities here in Mexico City don't teach that. So I will stay 1 year selling halal "tortillas" in the streets to save some money.
I'm now stronger with my hijab than ever. I plan to be a niqabi once I'm able to move out to my own apartment..."

No comments:

Post a Comment