Saturday, July 11, 2015

SOME OF THE ETIQUETTE'S OF I’TIKAAF




SOME OF THE ETIQUETTE'S OF I’TIKAAF
Some of the etiquette of I’tikaaf that one should know is that one should remain in the Masjid and not leave, unless it is an essential matter like using the bathroom. It is better to remain in the Masjid during I’tikaaf than to follow a Janaazah and you know how much reward there is in following a Janaazah (Qiraat of reward).
It is better to remain in the Masjid than to visit someone who is ill. It is better to remain in the Masjid during I’tikaaf than to have relationship with a wife.
‪#‎Notice‬ how these matters are encouraged and they have so much reward to them, but when you are doing I’tikaaf you are better off staying in the Masjid.
One can leave for essential matters like using the bathroom, taking a shower, getting clothes or maybe getting food and drink unless someone brings it.
He should go bring the food and eat it in the Masjid. Do not go eat in a restaurant or at home, unless you are unable to do so in the Masjid.
One can speak to and talk to his family or visitors as the Prophet sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam did with Safiyyah. If you bring your cell phone, make sure you only use it for essential matters. Especially the sisters, they may need it to remain in contact with their families but keep it for only essential matters.
WHAT INVALIDATES I’TIKAAF?
One being an apostate (Nas’alullah as-Salaamah), women on their days, sexual relationship and leaving the Masjid for no need.
...وَلَا تُبَاشِرُوهُنَّ وَأَنتُمْ عَاكِفُونَ فِي الْمَسَاجِدِ...
And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives) while you are in I’tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques."
•[Surat al-Baqarah: 187]
WHEN SHOULD ONE ENTER THE MASJID?
The formal timing of entering the Masjid is what Imaam Maalik, Anas and Sufyaan said, that you go at the Maghrib of the twentieth day and you leave at the Maghrib of the final day of Ramadhaan.
THE RULES OF I’TIKAAF
One must be a Muslim, it must be in a Masjid and you must have the intention of I’tikaaf. Women need the permission of their husband or Wali to do I’tikaaf, especially the permission of their husband (it is more essential). Just like she needs his permission to do the Sunnah of Siyaam, she needs his permission to do I’tikaaf because both are Sunnah.
I’TIKAAF FOR WOMEN
Many sisters say well we heard that there is no I’tikaaf for women. No, it is Sunnah for women to do I’tikaaf just like men. It is permissible for them, it is reward and if they can do it they should do it if there is no Fitnah. Some Masaajid, you hear about stuff that they do in I’tikaaf, I say it is Haraam for them to do I’tikaaf.
Allah said:
وَأَنتُمْ عَاكِفُونَ فِي الْمَسَاجِدِ...
While you are in I’tikaaf (i.e. confining oneself in a mosque for prayers and invocations leaving the worldly activities) in the mosques. •[Surat al-Baqarah:187] - It is for men and woman as long as there is no Fitnah.
In Sahih al-Bukhari, Aishah radhiallahu ‘anha said that the Prophet sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam allowed her and Hafsah to perform I’tikaaf. There was one time that the Prophet sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam saw many tents in the Masjid.
‪#‎Note‬, they built tents for the women to stay in privacy and not to go mix and mingle. He ordered them to be taken down, he cancelled I’tikaaf himself and he made up for it the following month. Notice he ordered that they be taken down and he cancelled it himself. Why did he do that?
There is a reason behind that. Some of the ‘Ulamaa said they were ordered to take them downbecause he disliked them to do I’tikaaf, because he may have sensed jealousy and competition.
They wanted to be close to him, there is a jealousy factor and they are there near him, which defeats the purpose of I’tikaaf. The purpose of I’tikaaf is to get away from everything as much as possible and now they are near him, so it may have been a distraction. That is one opinion.
Other ‘Ulamaa said it was not to deter women from I’tikaaf, but rather because there were so many tents in the Masjid that there was not sufficient space for the men
to do their obligatory matters. We have a clear, solid, authentic Hadith
The Hadith by ‘Urwah. This is after the Prophet sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam died and ‘Urwah says that the wives of Prophet sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam did I’tikaaf after him. That is the overwhelming opinion of the great, vast majority of the ‘Ulamaa and of the Madhaahib, that a woman is like a man in I’tikaaf. Make sure you have permission and also that there is no Fitnah.

No comments:

Post a Comment